Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Homemade Laundry Soap






So a friend of ours mentioned that she had started making her own laundry soap which was supposed to be equivalent to Tide with Bleach---and my ears perked up. So on New Years Day I went down with my ten one gallon containers and proceeded to cook up some laundry soap. I do believe that I am sold hook, line and sinker on the stuff.

Items you will need:

5 gallon bucket with lid
grater
long handled spoon
pan you don't mind cooking soap in
10 one gallon containers
2 quart measuring cup

Here is the recipe:

4 cups hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 cup washing soda (go to Arm and Hammer's website and it will give you the closest location of a store that sells it)
1/2 cup Borax


Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with the 4 cups of hot water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

Fill a five-gallon bucket half full of hot tap water Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to the top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let overnight to thicken.

The next day fill each gallon (milk) container with two quarts of solution from your five gallon bucket and fill the rest of the way with water. Voila! Ten gallons of laundry soap.

Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per two gallons if you would prefer scented soap.

Top loading machine: 3/4 cup per load (approximately 215 loads)
Front loading (HE) machine 3/8 cup (approximately 430 loads)--I just fill mine to the line in the laundry soap dispenser.

Keep in mind this is a low to no sudsing soap, so don't be concerned if you don't see any bubbles.

Powder Laundry Detergent

1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 cup washing soda
1/2 cup Borax

Grate soap or break into pieces and process in a food processor until powdered. Mix all ingredients. For light load, use one TBSP. For heavy or heavily soiled load, use 2 TBSP. Yields: three cups detergent.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

OK, you crack me up! You've got to fill me in....why are you making your own soap? Is it much cheaper than regular laundry detergent? Or is it just fun? I'm SO curious.

Topper said...

I remember making homemade baby wipes, back in the day, but Laundry soap... not for the faint of heart like me. Interesting emergency storage items though...

Jeremiah and Hillary said...

WOW! Very cool. You have inspired me Amy! Thanks for the info, I am seriouisly going to try this on my next couple of days off.

Cristi said...

cool! i think i'm too lazy though. lol!