Sunday, April 3, 2011

Etiquette?

As Kevin and I (lately just myself since Kevin is a few miles away) are out in public with our children, we sometimes get comments about how large our family is. Now, I never imagined I would have a family this large and my mother and father would probably agree with the fact that THEY never thought I would have a family this large since I only have one sibling; nevertheless, Kevin and I have five beautiful children. Not a single surprise pregnancy, either. (We did pay attention in Health class in middle school.) My question is this... if you don't know Kevin or I from Adam and Eve why would you feel it is your privledge to become privvy to the knowledge of if we are having any more children? Have we ever invited you into our bedroom? Have we inquired why you chose to only have one or no children? Just wondering if there is some etiquette book out there that I missed in high school or college? Maybe I missed it in the Reader's Digest or "Ask Heloise" in Good Housekeeping...I chalk it up to mere curiosity, but it still baffles me...

5 comments:

Karen said...

Maybe people wonder if you guys will get your own TV show some day. Amy and Kev plus elev. Plus you guys make such cute and smart kids that it really is your public duty to create as many as you can.

Jason & Kelli's Family said...

Amen! When curiosity outweighs good sense, comments like that usually result. My favorite response is "Why do you ask?" when I am asked a question that rubs my privacy button a little too much. I am not cruel and don't do it often, but it is always a little comical to see how my question is answered.

Fancy Nancy Chronicles said...

Guess what I was asked about Devin ... in the mall ... with Cate and Kyle ... Dev in stroller, on oxygen .... a clerk asked: "Do you think he will make it?" I smiled and said, "we hope so." Nothing surprises me about human curiosity. :) Life lessons never stop do they? Love you! xoxoxo

Josh said...

I love the "Why do you ask?" question and may begin using that. :)

I know Karen deals with it much more than I do and it amazes me at how gracious she remains when explaining how we are still deciding if we are done or not.

I did have one person at work who asked me after we announced our 3rd (and then again our 4th) pregnancies if "we knew what caused that." I couldn't resist when I looked at her and with a huge grin on my face said "Oh yeah!!! Did you need some pointers?"

She has never asked again.

kristib said...

While at an ultrasound for my 5th, the doctor, upon finding out how many kids I have, gasped and exclaimed, "Oh, my gosh! Are you getting your tubes tied?"

I do feel like a bit of a freak, especially here in California, but I try to remember that being "peculiar" is a good thing.