Friday, May 6, 2011

I might never understand


As I was hanging out our American flag today I noticed that we were the only house on our street that had an American flag out. I thought it might be because it was a wee bit early in the morning, but as the day progressed, flags failed to make their appearance on the front doorstep of any house on our street. It saddened me. As I remember living on base in California EVERY house had an American flag waving on almost every day of the year. The base housing office even installed flag holders on every house. I sit and reflect on this and wonder why we are the odd man out on the block? Is it because we have to spend money and time on a flag? Many people spend the money and time to purchase and set up a flag for sports teams outside their houses... why not the flag of our country? I will probably never understand why since it is part of who I am. But if you don't have a flag waving outside your front door, may I suggest you invest the time and money to show your support for the great nation so many men and women are fighting for? Just a thought. :)

1 comment:

Josh said...

What an excellent question and great suggestion. I have not checked outside our house to see if we already have a flag holder, but I think I'd better get on that asap!

We have a neighbor right up the street from our house (you wouldn't see them from your point of view) and they have a flag pole and fly the American Flag daily. I never stopped to think about how cool that is.

Thanks to your husband for being one of those many who serve our great nation!