Monday, August 15, 2011

Meet My Lisa

It started about 4 years ago. We moved from Colorado Springs to Vandenberg AFB in California and we knew of the Brock family because they were moving to VAFB right along with us. We never interacted with them while we lived in Colorado Springs even though "the boys" worked together and we lived less than 7 miles apart. So we arrive in CA at practically the same time, see each other at the housing office and spontaneously invited them to go the bowling alley for lunch with us. Little did we know that it would be the beginning of the intertwining of the Brock and Amsden families. After getting to know Lisa better she discovered that I liked to run and after taking one look at her, I knew she could maneuver around the weight room pretty easily. She wanted to start running, I wanted to not be intimidated by the weight room and so it began our crazy 0430 workout schedule. Little did I know that the workouts and already built friendship would lead to knowing a person so well that we could finish each other's sentences. We were known to our husbands as "The Dangerous Duo", Crestview PTA had their world refreshed by us filling the President and Vice President roles, holiday dinners... you get the picture.
Even though the Air Force has separated us for the time being, we have remained in close contact thanks to modern technology. I could probably add texting to our cell service and then I would become a texting junkie with this woman. Maybe not such a bad idea... anywho, I always have told Lisa I expect to see her on the cover of "Oxygen" magazine one of these days and have submitted my resume to be her manager. The woman is just incredible and is one my inspirations for continuing to hit the gym every day.
I call her "My Lisa" because I have such fond memories of her. Sure, we had our ups and downs and I realize now that those moments were so intense because we cared so much for our friendship.
I post this blog because I am so proud of her. She recently was in the Potomac Cup fitness competition and she absolutely blew her competition out of the water. I am her cheering section across the miles and I wish every time she competes I could be there. Times and seasons, I know...










4 comments:

lmbrock21 said...

Thank you Amy! We truly are sisters from another time...I am flattered and touched by your blog. Distance may keep us out of each others kitchens :) but not from talking and staying close! BTW...your running is what led me down the road to our 5k's...triathlons, half marathon and marathon...I never would have done those without your inspiration! Love you!

Kevin_A said...

You guys are cute!

Josh said...

I always find it fascinating how easily we can become intertwined in the lives of other people, even if we only know them closely for a brief period of time.

Eternity will be a super fun reunion! :)

Karen said...

Wowser! She's amazing! (as are you)