Thursday, October 20, 2011

And then there were four "responsible" parents

As of right now, I can't decide what title to give this blog post... thoughts were: Eleven Children, Half My Age, Hurdling Talents Discovered, What To Do Next Time? Regardless, they all are describing the recent trip to Disneyland which Kevin and I took sans children. It was interesting to see the reactions we received when we would run into people we knew at Disneyland and they would not see any children in tow. Between and Miles and Amsden families we have eleven children---the score is five for the home team and six for the away. Quite a feat to have two couples with families of our size on vacation as couples and not as famillies. It took a years worth of coordination with grandparents, aunts, friends and teachers to make it work, but, by golly, it was certainly quite worth it. I'm not going to go into details of the trip as then it would be like I was gathering you all in to watch the never ending slide show of our trip but I will touch on a few highlights... My husband schmoozed our way into a convertible which we enjoyed driving up the Pacific Coast Highway (also known as Highway1). I was on the lookout for hottie McHottie Matthew McConaughey but didn't have any luck. Ate an entire combo meal at In-N-Out burger with my fries "animal style" and enjoyed every last morsel without feeling any guilt. Later that night I felt horrible from all of the grease but I still savor the flavors of "The Spread." The next day I experienced Disneyland in it fullness without having to worry about diapers, wipes, baby food, nap times, kids meals or sunscreen. I love my children. I love making sure they are well taken care of, but I loved having only a piece of plastic in my back pocket to carry around for five days. Dressing up for our Halloween Spooktacular party was amazingly fun and I swear all four of receded in age by at least ten years. Running around the park, trick or treating, with not a care in the world for the time of day or if we even had dinner was awesome. I also found myself strangly attracted to Kevin's press on mustache. A highlight was the next day as we were having some friendly "speed walking" competiton to get to our next "Fast Pass" station and as Tanan and I were edging up on each other he broke into a run only to find a motorized scooter and stroller with a sleeping child was in his way... he launched himself over the stroller with a passing, "Do you have any Grey Poupon?" and successfully beat me to the front of the line by milliseconds. The sight alone was worth the defeat.

1 comment:

Josh said...

Okay ... so the next time you get the urge to do this again ... LET US COME TOO !!! :)
Karen LOVES Disneyland and how cool would it be to say 6 adults minus 17 kids ?! :)
Glad you had fun ...