Monday, January 7, 2013

39 weeks and 6 days

Ethan is one month old today. Yes, the time has flown by. No, I still haven't forgotten the pain of labor and delivery. Yes, he has stolen our hearts. No, He isn't sleeping through the night... yet. He is pretty darn close, though. Yes, I feel that having a newborn and five other children is kicking my booty most days. No, I haven't slacked on my laundry duties.

This post is mainly for myself to remember the little man's birthday since my journal rarely makes it off the nightstand now a days. If you would like to join for those incredible 53 minutes, feel free. :) I have never carried a baby in my womb past 38 weeks. Never. We thought for sure this little guy would show up somewhere around Thanksgiving. Yeah... nope. We had everything set with who was going to watch the kids, rides to swimming and other activites. We were all set to rock n roll over the Thanksgiving break. It came and went. The next week came and went. I was dialating, effacing and the baby was moving down, but no action. We talked induction at 39 weeks simply due to my selfish reasons and then I decided I had moral issues over choosing my son's birthday, so inductin was not discussed again. We just waited. Kevin and I thought it would be stellar to have Ethan in December simply for the reason that we would then have two birthdays in January, two in September, two in October and two in December. We are a bit obsessed about "evenness."

Kevin's mother arrived on December 6th at 4:00 PM. I went into labor on December 7 at 1:57 AM. I really think something subliminal happened and let my body finally relax enough to go into labor knowing that the other children were now taken care of in their own home. No "farming out" children, everyone sleeping in their own beds and someone to drive them wherever they needed to be.

  I rested through a few contractions in bed and then decided that we were definitely in business. Got up and started a shower (which I never made it into) and started getting a few odds and ends together. I knew the birth plan that I wanted which included waiting long enough at home so that I didn't have to have a stupid IV put into my arm and jump through all of the hospitals "hoops" while having a baby. I wanted him to come naturally without any help from medication or having to follow anyones rules but mine. After using the bathroom, I immediately felt my body change into transition phase. It was seriously like a light switch flipped. Crazy experience and one I will never forget. At that moment I had to trust my body to do what it was meant to do and hope that we made it to the hospital in time. Going through the next couple of contractions, Kevin's mom asked if we wanted to just stay home and have have the baby there because she could tell he was coming... FAST.

We decided to leave and try and make it to Montgomery in case there was any hemmoraging since this was our sixth baby. We just felt like staying home was taking a gamble we didn't want to risk.

  We threw everything in the car and headed out of Prattville to I-65. Kevin will never confirm nor deny reaching speeds of epic timliness on our trip down the interstate and I will always curse concrete bridges since we had to cross three of them to get to Montgomery and the repeated breaks in the bridges certainly didn't hinder my labor from progressing.

At the I-65, I-85 junction, five miles from the hospital, I told Kevin I needed to push and he pushed the accelerator farther down. We have always joked that if I gave birth in a vehicle, we would replace that vehicle with a new model. Let's just say we started discussing new Subarus.

Kevin had called labor and delivery on our way down to let them know we would be flying through. They had a wheelchair ready and the security guard, after trying to first direct us to registration, cleared our path and said, "She says the baby is coming out!" The nurse could not push the wheelchair fast enough as I held the baby through three more contractions. Getting to the L&D floor, I hopped up on the bed and said, "Okay, I am going to push on the next contraction." The nurses looked at me like I was crazy, and tried to get the belly montior and IV started while trying to change me into that ridiculous hospital gown. "You can't push" is all they could say, so in my mind, I said, "Oh yeah? Watch this!" Me, the hospital bed and one push and I had my baby boy. The nurse turns to me and says, holding the belly monitor, "Well, I guess we don't need this any longer" and I just look at her while I am handed Ethan. The doctor walked in ten minutes later with uncombed hair and relayed the fact that I hadn't given him much time to get there. I just smiled. They really should have trusted a woman who was giving birth to her sixth child.

  I had the birth I wanted, Kevin never got his new car but had a heck of a fun time getting us down to the hospital, and Ethan has now completed our family.


Valeri said...

I laughed and a I cried reading this. Beautiful words. Loved it all. Ethan is so sweet. Congratulations. Love and miss you guys.

Josh said...

FINALLY had time to read this today. So fun to hear you tell this story (in my mind I just can picture your facial expressions, along with Kevin jumping in to share his 2 cents, as I read this).
It never ceases to amaze me that hospital folk don't get that we've been through this before ... A LOT !!!
I try to be patient, but at a certain point you just have to do what you know is the right thing and let them figure out their reaction later. Kudos to you on such a totally "natural" birth!
BTW ... I rode with Kevin to a 10pm movie at the dollar theatre a while back, so I have seen how quickly he can get that Subaru to his destination. :)